Hypoallergenic Hair Gel for Fine Hair
I'm going to try the shampoo and conditioner you recommend. Now I need to find a gel or foam styling product since I have very fine hair, can you help me?
Hi, thanks for your message. Yes, I have very fine hair too and it is quite a challenge to find styling products that are hypoallergenic and also free of irritating chemicals. I just took another look, as I periodically check to see what is new out there. Here are the choices I am aware of so far.
Basically, your choices are to look for hypoallergenic hair gel which is free of plant allergens. These usually contain some chemicals that you'd rather not see on your hair, however may be worth it if you react to plants.
Then your other choices are natural or organic hair gels, which have lots of herbal and essential oil ingredients, but usually (not always) have less of the more irritating chemicals.Hypoallergenic Hair Gel
First, for hypoallergenic hair gel, which generally has no botanicals, I have not yet found great choices. They all have limitations and here are my top two:
1. ***z-cleure.shtml*** used to make a nice hair gel, and this has been discontinued but they may decide to offer it again at some point. Their older version worked well and was hypoallergenic but contained parabens. They have been reformulating their product line and removing parabens from all their current products. You can see ingredients at their page. I have used some of their older products and they have not caused irritation or outbreaks for my skin.
2. Free and Clear hair spray
- has alcochol and PEG-12, I haven't used this but it is another possibility for hypoallergenic hair spray.
sd-alcohol 40-B, purified water, acrylates copolymer, aminomethyl propanol, PEG-12 dimethicone, acrylates/octylacrylamide, copolymer, phytantriol,
citric acid.Natural or Organic Hair Gel
For the natural or organic choices, these do have plant ingredients so are not hypoallergenic.
3. If you are not allergic to plants there are some natural or organic hair gels, these usually have a scent from essential oils. Intelligent Nutrients Hair Gel
- you can see the ingredients at the page.John Masters Shine On
- hair volumizer which creates shine
4. Giovanni Strong Hold Hair Gel
I have used Giovanni hair products (certified organic) and they are relatively safe, and usually the fragrances are mild although this may have changed. When I look for ingredients I get two different formulations so I'm not sure which is more current.
Aqua ( Purified Water) With Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinallis) Oil, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Oil, Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) Oil, birch Leaf ( Betula Alba) oil, Chammomile ( Anthemis Nobilis Flower ) Oil, Clary ( Salvia Sclarea), Lavender ( Lavandula Angustifolia) Coltsfoot leaf (Tussilago Farfara), Yarrow ( Achillea Millefolium ) Oil, Mallow ( Malva Sylvestris), Horsetail ( Equisetum Arvense ) Oil, PVP/VA Copolymer, Soybean Protein ( Glycine Soja), Hydroxyethylcellulose ( Plant derived), Tocopherol ( Vitamin E), Citric Acid (Corn), Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Grapefruit Seed ( Citrus Derived), Fragrance With Essential Oil
Aqua (Purified Water), **Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, *Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, *Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, *Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Extract, *Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, *Salvia Sclarea (Clary) Leaf Extract, *Lavendula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, *Tussilago Farfara (Coltsfoot) Flower Extract, *Achillea Millefolium (Yarrow) Extract, *Equisetum Arvense Extract, *Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract, PVP/VA Copolymer, Hydroxyethylcellulose (Plant Derived), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Citric Acid (Corn), Phenoxyethanol, Grapefruit Seed (Citrus Derived), Fragrance (Includes Essential Oil).
These are some different brands I have found in my searches, and their availability varies. You can see more choices here at http://www.mysensitiveskincare.com/hairgel
I hope this is helpful for you!